Professional Role Socialization
The Associate Degree in Nursing program at Excelsior College is designed for individuals with significant clinical health care experience. This means that all students have provided some aspect of health care for patients. Transitioning to the role of the Professional Nurse requires development of a new framework in your approach to patient care. The process of role transition requires you to reflect on what knowledge and skills you bring as a student and how you transform into the role of the professional nurse. While not all students in the program are licensed practical nurses similarities exist in the evolution of your current position to a new role.
Using APA format, write a six (6) to ten (10) page paper (excludes cover and reference page). A minimum of three (3) current professional references must be provided. Current references include professional publications or valid and current websites dated within five (5) years. Additionally, a textbook that is no more than one (1) edition old may be used.
Read the following and then compose your paper:
• Chapter 4: Role Transition (Reprinted with permission from: Lora Claywell (2009) LPN to RN Transitions (2nd ed.) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.)
The paper consists of two (2) parts and must be submitted by the close of week six. Each part must be a minimum of three (3) pages in length.
• Define professional socialization. Discuss how the criteria of a profession are achieved during the process of professional socialization.
• Lora Claywell (2009) describes four stages of professional socialization in nursing. Read the attached chapter and summarize the stages. Identify which stage you are experiencing. Describe your rationale.
• Identify two barriers that could interfere with your ability to accomplish the fourth stage. For each barrier, identify resources that can assist you to overcome the barrier. Explain.
• Claywell (2009) discusses 8 areas of differences between LPN and RN roles: assessment skills; patient teaching skills; communication skills; educational preparation; intravenous therapy; legal responsibilities; nursing care planning; and thinking skills. Research 3 of these areas and provide supporting evidence how the differences you selected are integral for implementing the role of the RN. Use the nursing literature to illustrate the areas you selected and how they affect the provision of safe, effective patient care.
Your conclusion should describe your plan for socialization into the role of the professional nurse.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂